Saturday, January 19, 2013

Book Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent


Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)

Title: Before I Wake
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #6
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: June 26, 2012
Length: 339 Pages
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository


I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.
The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.
But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….

MY REVIEW
**This Review may contain SPOILERS for previous installments, especially IF I DIE**

Rachel Vincent does it again with the newest installment to the Soul Screamers series. Before I Wake is the work of emotional warfare, specifically my emotions. I have loved the Soul Screamers series from the very beginning and I have to say that Before I Wake made me love it even more if that is possible. After events in If I Die, I knew that the story would be taking a change, but I was surprised at the amount of change that takes place. I think that is most evident in Kaylee herself. Death has made her strong but less connected to the living world around her which creates some issues. 

**IF I DIE SPOILERS AHEAD**

I will admit my favorite part is Kaylee and Tod’s relationship. There is just something sweet albeit a little tragic about their relationship. Tod helps Kaylee hold on to her connections to her humanity, and gives Kaylee something to live for despite everything. I loved Nash and Kaylee, but with everything, Tod is a better fit for Kaylee. Tod will give up his own afterlife to protect Kaylee, while Nash tends to choose his addiction. 

So many things happened in Before I Wake, but talking about just about any of them would spoil the book for others so I will refrain. Kaylee and her friends will be going up against some familiar faces, but the stakes will be much higher than ever before. Before I Wake is an epic, mind-bending, and heartbreaking story with some shocking developments.

Although I loved Before I Wake, it is also bittersweet, because the next installment, With All My Soul, is the end of the Soul Screamers series. With the events in this book, With All My Soul is going to be one powerful ending. It is still a couple months before With All My Soul is released, and I think that maybe it will be enough time to recover, before delving into the finale. 

**Unabridged Bookshelf owns this book**


Thank you for stopping by Unabridged Bookshelf! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate every comment, so thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made my day :)