Monday, October 17, 2011

Review of Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. 

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. 
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. (Copied from Goodreads)



My Review
Iron King is part of the Iron fey series that I have seen all over the place, and I knew it was a book series I had to read. The Iron King is about Megan Chase, a normal teenage girl with a not so perfect life. She only has her best friend Robbie to confide in. Megan is haunted by the events that happened on her sixth birthday, when her father disappeared without a trace. She does not know what happened or why her father just disappeared, and she is very unsettled by this fact. On her sixteenth birthday, things start to take a weird turn she is seeing things out of the corner of her eye. She sees a mysterious man on the way home, and does not understand the reason her friend, Robbie, becomes protective.

Events unfold and it is up Megan to enter the world of the fey to save someone she loves. She soon finds out her best friend, Robbie, is actually Robin Goodfellow or more commonly known as Puck. Puck helps guide her through the land of the fey, NeverNever. Along the way, she meets a few characters out of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I have to say I have never read A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but it did not affect the story at all. I do think if you read A Midsummer Night’s Dream, it would add a new level to the story of the Iron King. I bought a copy after reading the Iron King, so I could read it before I start The Iron Daughter.

As the story of Iron King continues, Megan meets Ash, Prince of the Winter Court. He is super dreamy, but he is Puck’s sworn enemy. The two boys agree to help Megan on her mission to save her loved one, even if they want to kill each other. Another character, Grimalkin is a talking disappearing cat that also accompanies Megan along the way. I just love him; his attitude is just perfect for him. I love Puck, the trickster, and I love Ash, the honorable warrior.  

Iron King is like a combination of Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Midsummer Night’s Dream all rolled into one. Grimalkin reminds me at times of the Cheshire Cat. Puck for reminds me at times of Peter Pan, and he is from the land of NeverNever, or NeverNever Land. Megan also reminds me a little bit of Wendy, but I am not sure why, maybe her innocence. This is all mixed with A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The Iron King is just an amazing book, and very well written. I cannot wait to read the Iron Daughter, and continue the adventure of Megan, Puck, Ash, and of course Grimalkin. Julie Kagawa is a splendid storyteller. 

  • Paperback: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Harlequin
  • Publication Date: February 1, 2010
  • Language: English 
**Unabridged Bookshelf borrowed this book from a public library**

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Yay! So glad you loved it. I think the books get progressively better as the series goes on.
    Great review!

    CYP @ A Bookalicious Story said...

    Lol, you went to read it after all! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Post a Comment

    I truly appreciate every comment, so thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made my day :)