Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: My Soul To Steal by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Steal
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #4
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Publication Date: January 4, 2011

BUY MY SOUL TO STEAL

Trying to work things out with Nash—her maybe boyfriend—is hard enough for Kaylee Cavanaugh. She can't just pretend nothing happened. But "complicated" doesn't even begin to describe their relationship when his ex-girlfriend transfers to their school, determined to take Nash back.
See, Sabine isn't just an ordinary girl. She's a mara, the living personification of a nightmare. She can read people's fears—and craft them into nightmares while her victims sleep. Feeding from human fear is how she survives.
And Sabine isn't above scaring Kaylee and the entire school to death to get whatever—and whoever—she wants.(From Goodreads)
Soul Screamers Reading Challenge


MY REVIEW
**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS SOUL SCREAMERS BOOKS**
My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent starts up about two weeks after the events of My Soul to Keep. So many things I want to talk about in this book, but I cannot without possibly spoiling it for other readers. If you have not read the first three books, this review may contain spoilers, as this is part of a series. After the tragic events that happened, in well every Soul Screamers book, but specifically the end of My Soul to Keep, Kaylee, and Nash’s relationship is cracked. These are not simple little cracks, but large fissures. Kaylee just wants the chance to see if they can repair their relationship and move past the events of My Soul to Keep.

Enter the cherry on top of the pile of problems, Sabine. Sabine has prior stakes to Nash, and she does not want to give them up for anything. This is not just a normal clash of ex-girlfriend versus the sort of current girlfriend, not when Sabine is involved. Sabine is not just your average ex-girlfriend; she is a living nightmare or Mara. To survive she has to feed on the fears of others, but she in not above using her powers to get what she wants either. Kaylee need to decide if Nash is worth fighting for, and if she can ever forgive him.

Let us talk characters, first up Kaylee. Kaylee is not the strong, brave female lead we are used to seeing in this series. This is because her heart is hurting, and she is trying to reevaluate her relationship and her life. She is more vulnerable, and I think that allows me to love her even more. There is also a lot of jealousy between Kaylee and Sabine, and I think it does bring out the worst parts in Kaylee. While this is all going on, Kaylee still wants to be protect the innocent and fight for what is right.

Next up Nash, Nash made me so angry in My Soul to Keep, and you make me so sad in My Soul to Steal. Nash is trying to move on with his life, and all he wants to do is redeem himself in Kaylee’s eyes. I understand Kaylee’s point and I understand Nash’s wishes. It just breaks your heart to watch these two go through this, even if it is Nash’s fault. He finds peace in his friendship with Sabine, even if it does drive Kaylee crazy, and Sabine’s intentions are less than honorable. I hope they can move past all this in If I Die, but I have a feeling based on reactions, it is not to be so.

Sabine, Sabine, Sabine you manage to irritate me, while at the same time making me want to give you a big hug, sort of. Maras are born to human parents, and if they do not control their powers, they literally frighten everyone away. While Sabine is a funny yet exasperating character, she is also very alone. Nash is her only friend, so you cannot but feel sorry for her even just a little bit. I cannot wait to see if Sabine grows in If I Die.

Saving the best for last in this super long review, we have Tod. The reaper, whom I suspect is harboring a bit of a crush on our dear Kaylee Cavanaugh. I love the friendship that has bloomed between Tod and Kaylee and even Tod, Kaylee, and Emma. I think this is the book where I am still holding out hope for Nash, but starting to hope that Tod gets a chance. I am so torn, with everything in this book. This review is so much long than normal, just because I am so full of emotions brought out by this book. This is just another amazing book by the marvelous Rachel Vincent.

**Unabridged Bookshelf purchased this book**


Do you think there is any hope for Nash and Kaylee?
How excited are you for Before I Wake next month?

Thank you for stopping by Unabridged Bookshelf!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might the only person who hasn't read this series yet ! :O
It sounds very interesting and I should probably read it.
I just skimmed your review since I haven't exactly read the previous books, but it seems like I might like the characters. :)
Great review :D

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

@Nick I haven't read it yet so we're in that boat together..been hearing really good things so we should hurry and get started.

Awesome review!

~Shane @Itching for Books
new followe

Unabridged Bookshelf said...

Soul Screamers is a great series, I think you both would love it if you tried it! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave comments.

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate every comment, so thank you for taking the time to comment. You just made my day :)